an injured customerPeople who have been injured on someone else’s property might want to pursue a premises liability lawsuit. Before filing paperwork, there are certain elements that must be present. Allow us to explain in depth what premises liability is, examples, and what you’ll need to prove:

Understanding Premises Liability

A premises liability lawsuit encompasses holding the property owner responsible for negligence that caused an injury. While some people may view certain incidents as accidents, it is imperative that you seek an attorney’s guidance in case your injury warrants a lawsuit. By partnering with an experienced attorney, you are able to focus on your recovery while your attorney seeks compensation on your behalf.

There are many different types of injuries that can justify a premises liability lawsuit. Several examples of premises liability include:

  • Animal attacks
  • Faulty stairs or sidewalks
  • Fire code violations
  • Inadequate lighting (parking lots, alleys, etc.)
  • Lack of security cameras or guards
  • No restraints around pools and spas
  • Wet or slippery floors

What You Need to Prove in a Premises Liability Case

If you were injured on someone else’s property, several elements must be present to move forward with a premises liability lawsuit. Those three elements are:

  1. The defendant had a duty of care to keep his property safe.
  2. The defendant acted negligently, breaking that duty of care.
  3. The plaintiff was injured, and the injury is linked to the defendant’s negligence.

 If these three elements are present, you can move forward with a premises liability lawsuit. Certain factors may negate the lawsuit such as if you were trespassing or heavily intoxicated. Regardless, it’s important to talk to a lawyer to determine what rights you have as a plaintiff.

Partner with Premises Liability Attorneys

Pursuing a premises liability lawsuit has numerous benefits – you receive compensation for your injuries, the defendant must take action to make his property safe, and more. The Walker Hulbert Gray & Moore attorneys will zealously fight for your compensation to ensure you can focus on recovery and not experience financial hardship. Don’t hesitate to call us with questions: 478-987-1415